IELTS Reading test is a very significant section where a candidate’s level of English is assessed through reading tasks.
Duration of the IELTS Reading test: 60 minutes
There are various types of questions in IELTS Reading section that you need to attempt after reading the text.
- Fill the gaps in a passage
- Match headings
- Complete sentence
- Multiple choice questions
- Short answers to open questions
While attempting the IELTS Reading test, you need to keep in mind the following instructions:
- Read for the general sense of a passage
- Read for the main ideas
- Read for detail
- Understand inferences and implied meaning
- Recognize a writer’s opinions, attitudes, and purpose
- Follow the development of an argument
You will be required to take the IELTS Reading test in the given time period only.
There are a few reading passages that you need to answer within 60 minutes.
- Following steps will help you in the IELTS reading tasks:
- Write your answers directly on the answer sheet.
- Read quickly and efficiently, and manage your time.
- Expect to read approximately 2150-2750 words during your test.
IELTS ACADEMIC READING TEST
- In IELTS Academic Reading, your test will have three sections, each with one long text.
- The texts are taken from books, journals, magazines, and newspapers.
- The text ranges from descriptive and factual to discursive and analytical. IELTS Academic Reading is slightly more difficult than IELTS General Reading.
- The text might be accompanied by diagrams, graphs, or illustrations in the IELTS Academic Reading test.
- A simple Glossary will be provided if the material contains technical terms.
IELTS GENERAL READING TEST
- In IELTS General Reading, your test will have three sections.
- The texts are taken from newspapers, advertisements, official documents, etc.
- Two or three short factual texts are relevant to everyday life. The IELTS General Reading test is comparatively easier.
- Two short factual texts focused on work-related issues e.g. a job application.
- One longer, more complex text based on a topic of general interest.
You can practice for IELTS Reading tasks as there are three sections here that you need to attempt to check your level. In the case of IELTS Academic Reading sample test, it will give you an idea about the different types of sections as the tasks here are based on graphs, charts, and diagrams according to which you need to answer. For IELTS Exam preparation, you need to attempt a regular series of practice tests